Thursday 10 June 2010

Show Choirs?


So, I was watching a programme on channel 4 this week called 'Gleeful' - about the real show choirs of America - where kids in America spend nearly 18 hours a week dancing, singing and acting in groups like those in Glee and High School Musical. I thought, originally, that the craze of films based on these topics were completely made up - with people managing to jump into the same song at exactly the same moment, but it can actually happen! Not only has Glee become a tv phenomenom but it also has rocked the pop chart and the broadway routes in America - but why have these show choirs suddenly become an international 'thing'. Show choirs have had teenagers singing and dancing and acting out mini broadway shows for years and have helped many celebrities to understand vocals and acting - creating stepping stones for them. Show choirs are even in the American curriculum! If your someone that finds Wikipedia's definitions helpful - here is one...A show choir (originally called 'swing choir') is a group of people who combine choral singing with dance. Personally I think that they would be fun - as extra curricular though because I don't think that everyone would appreciate the introduction of show choirs as an actual topic - nevertheless, new things can be better than you ever expected....can't they? If you want to enjoy a bit of 'real' Glee and maybe learn a bit more about the craze that is show choirs then go on the channel 4 website by following this link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gleeful-the-real-show-choirs-of-america/4od

All singing...

All dancing...

(even costumed) Show Choirs!




3 comments:

  1. I wish I was part of Glee club :D
    I saw the start of that programme but I'll watch the rest on 4od when I get the chance, so thanks for the link :)
    Btw, I think the pink dresses in the last photo are yuck :P
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed ButtonPom... those dresses are DISGUSTING. And with the green of the guys shirts...

    I missed some of the 'real' Glee... but I don't know if I will go back and watch them... As I don't really see the point, as I know what is going to happen!!

    Katee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Green and Pink Clash - more like costumes rather than actual clothes eewwie :P

    ReplyDelete